Meet Nelle Bing!
Nelle became a resident of Columbia Heights in 2015 when she and her husband Garrett bought their first home. After spending many years renting in both Minneapolis and Saint Paul, settling down in Columbia Heights was a welcome feeling.
Nelle earned her Associate’s Degree from Saint Paul College and her Bachelors’ Degree in Business Administration from Metropolitan State University. She worked full-time in event planning while pursuing her degrees. After a rewarding ten years as an Event Planner, she left her career after the premature birth of her daughter Juliette in 2014.
Nelle enjoys serving her neighborhood watch as a block captain. In the summer of 2017 she organized National Night Out for her block for the first time in years.
Nelle started a Facebook group known as the Columbia Heights Peaceful Community Group. After noticing the community lacked a respectful online space, she created the group with the intent that her community needed a space to unite and network with one another in a respectful setting. In just over a year’s time the group has grown to almost 1,000 members and has gotten much positive feedback about its creation.
Nelle also serves as a Board Director in the community group HeightsNEXT – an organization focused on promoting sustainability and community in Columbia Heights. More recently, Nelle also started volunteering with the Multicultural Advisory Committee, which is a partnership with the Columbia Heights police force where focused on representing the diverse community, acting in an advisory capacity between the community and the police force.
- She loves eating Vietnamese Noodle soup (pho)!
- Nelle plays many instruments – guitar, drums, baritone horn, trumpet – to name a few! In high school, she “lettered” in band!
- Christmas is her favorite holiday. She loves the decorations, the music, the family time – she can’t get enough!
- She loves writing, and hopes some day to write and publish a book.
- Her favorite beer? Indeed Brewing Company Midnight Ryder Black IPA